We are seeking a Head of Building Consultancy in our multi-disciplinary practice. We are keen to hear from people with great technical knowledge but also experience in managing existing client relationships, building new ones and managing and developing a team.
The Building Consultancy division is aiming to appoint a Head of Building Consultancy. At present this role is fulfilled by a Director who is jointly responsible for Building and Access Consultancy but following a strategic review of the business and inception of a new business plan the Director will now focus on the growth of the Access Division.
The Head of Building Consultancy is a key role in driving forward the ambitious plans for the sustainable growth of the business. This includes servicing a long established client base but also expanding the division into new markets. The Head will be responsible for managing an existing team but will also be charged with building their own team with our support.
We are keen to hear from people with great technical knowledge but also experience in managing existing client relationships, building new ones and managing and developing team.
Job Purpose and Scope
The Head of Building Consultancy will lead the Surveying department responsible for generating new business opportunities and managing the client base, to support the company’s growth strategy and sales plan. The role will involve representing and promoting the Building
Surveying department externally and internally, marketing activity and working effectively with key internal and external stakeholders, together with the day-to-day management and delivery of projects for our key clients.
• Consistent delivery of fee targets and income generation
• Initially work with us to deliver existing plan to generate new business but ultimately to develop and implement your own plan.
• To work with Directors/Marketing Manager to identify key areas for growth.
• To work with admin support/consultants to identify new business opportunities.
• Develop and implement a client and stakeholder management plan.
• To work as an ambassador for the company - attending networking events on and offline, growing genuine relationships with stakeholders.
• To identify and manage the implementation of marketing campaigns to generate new business.
• To manage a team of professional surveyors and graduates, ensuring consistency in the support being provided.
• Identification and acquisition of new business opportunities.
• Motivate, develop, and inspire direct reports to achieve their personal objectives and development plan.
• Ensure that work undertaken by the team adheres to all company policies and processes.
• Demonstrate a commitment to personal and professional development, identify any gaps in skills, knowledge and expertise and help plan appropriate training programmes for your team.
• Create and nurture professional, long term relationships with new and existing customers.
• To be aware of and deal with customer concerns and complaints when escalated.
• To manage and front up large surveying projects within the team to meet project objectives.
• To identify and collaborate on any missed opportunities within existing client base.
• Effectively hand over the new client relationship to the consultant who will service the requirement.
• To collaborate with and work effectively with Consultants, Office Manager, and all other team members.
• Develop & co-host events to secure relationships with current clients.
Product and Process:
• To adhere to standard company policies and procedures.
• Contribute to the company’s strategic goals.
• Technically proficient in core BS disciplines; Dilapidations; Contract Admin; Surveys.
• Evidence of extensive continual professional development.
• Proven experience in similar role at management level.
• Potential for existing client base to follow you (in part or in whole).
• Experience of non-work-related complimentary activities (e.g., Advisory boards, RICS committees, APC assessor etc).
• Expertise in Party Wall Surveying.
• At least 5 years’ experience with at least 3 years at a senior level.
• Extensive experience of Dilapidations claims for substantial commercial properties.
• Contract admin of commercial projects up to £2million value
• Commercial Surveys up to £5million value.
• Experience of managing and developing a team.
• Consistent delivery of fee income targets.
• Delivery of new business targets.
• Handling confidential information or situations in an appropriate and sensitive manner.
• Working in a busy office where work flexibility is required as part of a ‘one team’ ethos.
• Experience of working for a private practice at a
• Experience of working remotely and in an office
• Knowledge of local areas.
• Delivering BS Seminars.
• Authoring technical bulletins/articles, blogging etc.
• Development of business plans to generate new business.
• Acting as RICS APC Counsellor/Supervisor.
• Residential Survey experience (high end properties).
• Party Wall Surveying.
• Excellent interpersonal skills combined with the ability to inspire, motivate and mentor others to achieve.
• Strong organisational and time management skills.
• Excellent verbal & written communication, including report writing and presenting material to a range of audiences.
• Strong and consistent focus on delivery, seeking innovative ways to generate business growth.
• Results orientated, with demonstrable evidence of determination, drive, and resilience.
• Self-motivated and able to see tasks through to a successful conclusion, including meeting challenging deadlines where necessary.
• Proficient in ICT, including Microsoft office, adobe, zoom etc
• Ability to be resourceful and able to research, gather and distribute information as necessary.
• Mentoring and development of Junior Staff.
• Overall high-level proficiency in ICT, willingness to learn and develop new systems.
• Media experience (Radio/TV/Vlogs)
• RICS APC Assessor
Interested in this role?
Send your CV and letter via email, telling us why you are the right candidate for the role. Your letter should be a maximum of one side of A4.